2007-06-18

Memory Callengers..

Many lifestyle factors can have a significant "memory zapping" effect on your brain:

Alcohol: Interferes with short-term memory and damages little branches in the brain called dendrites, which pass on messages between brain cells.

Insomnia: Lack of sleep reduces our ability to retrieve memories while sleep deprivation can leave you feeling forgetful the next day.



Smoking: Limits the amount of oxygen and bloodflow to the brain

Stress: The "fight or flight" response that we have when stressed, uses up energy leaving less circulating blood sugar to fuel your brain resulting in a loss of clarity and focus.


Some medications: Pills such as tranquillizers, muscle relaxants, sleeping pills, high blood pressure medication and antidepressants, can contribute to fuzzy thinking or cause some loss of memory capacity in some people.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! I didn't realize stress effects the memory as well. I knew all the others did. I gave up cigs years ago, I guess it time to cut back on the glasses of wine at night if I want to remember that I enjoyed them.

Unknown said...

Good post and thanks visited my first bolg "www.successbegin.com". Cheers !

affilaiteangel said...

yeah .. i agree .. stress is creating memory loss for me :-(

Bilbo said...

Hmmm...I don't smoke, drink in moderation, get plenty of sleep, and still have a lousy memory. Any more suggestions? Great blog! Thanks for the effort! Best wishes, Bilbo.

Catherine Bugi said...

Hye Bilbo.. Everyone of us has different type of memory depending on our surrounding, food, daily activities and etc. Factors mentioned above are a fews of them which is affected to our memory lost even greater.

Unknown said...

Alcohol not only damages your brain, but also overwhelms portions of your biochemical pathways. Basically you poison your entire body. It takes several days for your biochemistry to return to normal.

Anonymous said...

Having read that list I'm of the firm conclusion that there really is no hope for me.